Sandgate Law

Road Traffic Accidents

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident (RTA), the responsible party’s insurance company may offer to settle your claim before you instruct a solicitor.  Why will they do that?  It’s because the insurers know that, more often than not, an injured party will recover more compensation by instructing a solicitor to make the claim on their behalf.

You should be aware that if you do decide to settle with an insurance company without instructing a solicitor then the insurers will have you sign a legally-binding document to the effect that you are accepting the compensation they offer in full and final settlement of your claim.  This means that if you have on-going symptoms or complications you will be unable to go back to the insurers and ask for additional compensation.

At Sandgate Law we will make sure we establish the nature and full extent of the injuries you sustained in the accident.  We will make sure that we are fully aware of just how the accident has affected you and your family.  We will make sure we know if there has been, or will be, any wage loss implications for you.  We will do all this before we even begin any settlement negotiations with an insurance company.

There are a few key facts that you should be aware of relating to compensation in RTAs.

You have 3 years from the date of the accident to settle your claim or raise a court action.  Don’t delay; contact us now.

If you were the driver of a vehicle involved in an accident and you think that you may have been partly to blame for the accident then you should still be able to claim damages for personal injury.  Contact us now for advice.

If the accident was caused by a driver who was uninsured then you are still entitled to compensation.  Call us now for advice.

If the accident was a “hit and run” and you have no information on the other driver or their vehicle then you are still entitled to compensation.  Call us now for advice.

If you were a passenger in a car and were injured as a result of an RTA then you will have a claim against either the driver of the vehicle you were travelling in, the driver of the other vehicle(s) involved or both.  

It may be that the driver of the vehicle you were a passenger in was a friend or a family member and you may be reluctant to make a claim in these circumstances.  Remember, it is the insurance company who will be paying any compensation that you are entitled to; that’s why we all have car insurance!  Don’t delay, contact Sandgate Law now for advice.

Make an enquiry